A Symposium - February 29, 2020
Knowing that weather affects all aspects of our sport, both racing and cruising as well as all commercial maritime activities, the CCA in 2018 sponsored the first Marine Weather and Sea State Symposium at the MITAGS conference Center in Maryland. Particular emphasis was placed on weather fundamentals, factors affecting sea state and and the complexity of the forecasting process.
The presentations were videoed and can be found at https://cruisingclub.org/news/weather-course-video-available-viewing as well as YouTube. To bring this program to the West Coast a second Symposium will be held on February 29, 2020 in Seattle, Washington at the Seattle Yacht Club.
The program will begin at 0830 pst and end around 1730. However, this session will not be a simple repeat of the 2018 Symposium although there will be some amount of review. Coming to the West Coast provides an opportunity to compare Atlantic and Pacific Ocean weather, extend our discussion of tides and tidal currents and the probability of rogue waves, and take advantage of the unique topography of the northwest coast to detail the factors governing coastal weather. How these features and factors affect the forecast accuracy and utility as well as the optimum means of reception and the analytical challenges remains the central theme of the Symposium. In recognition of these differences all attendees should prepare by viewing the first Symposium videos particularly the Marine Weather Fundamentals.
Subjects to be covered and presenters include:
- · A review of weather fundamentals – Ken McKinley, Locus Weather
- · Ocean and nearshore waves and currents – Frank Bohlen, UCONN Marine Science
- · Coastal Weather characteristics - The TEAM
- · The Marine Forecast – Joe Sienkiewicz, NWS Ocean Prediction Center
- · Evaluating the Weather Forecast - David Burch, Starpath School
- · Atlantic vs Pacific systems: A navigator’s perspective- Stan Honey, Honey Navigation
- · Modern Satellite Communication- Jeff Thomassen, OCENS
Cost: $175/pp Space is limited so sign up early