As most of you know, the Cruising Club of America was founded in the winter of 1922 by a group of yachtsmen interested in cruising, the development of safe cruising boats, and sailing to distant places. Since that time it has evolved in many ways. In 2022, we’ll be celebrating our one hundredth anniversary and, as such, a committee has been formed to help commemorate this historic occasion.
CCA's 100th Anniversary Celebration in Newport- September 2022
Save the Date! The club's 100th Anniversary will be upon us in September, 2022. Festivities will be held in Newport, RI, Sept. 11-16, 2022.
Plans include feeder gams ending in Newport, rum keg reception, a gala dinner, member presentations, a tour of the Naval War College, reception at the new Sailing Museum opening in 2022, tour of the Herreshoff Marine Museum, member seminars and, of course, the famous Newport Mansions.
There is no shortage of things to see and do in Newport where it is all about sailing! Our host hotel (Newport Harbor Hotel) on the water in downtown Newport also has moorage available for 35 of our boats and is within walking distance of most of Newport. Moorage requests will be handled by the 100th Committee, not the Hotel, and instructions will be provided in the next Waypoints.
The Fall Meeting, hosted by the Essex Station, will be held as part of the Centennial Celebration. Volunteers for the Celebration are welcome and needed. Please contact Vice Commodore Chris Otorowski to learn how you can be part of the Centennial Celebration Crew. Phone reservations for the hotel are now available.
Newport Harbor Hotel
The Newport Harbor Hotel is now accepting reservations for rooms. We have booked the entire hotel of 133 rooms and expect that we will fill the hotel. To the extent there is excess demand, we will provide information on additional lodging choices.
To book your room, call the Newport Harbor Hotel at 401-847-9000 or 800-955-2558. Click "1" after the opening message and speak with the very helpful, friendly and courteous staff at the front desk. Explain that you are with the CCA; their code for our reservations is 2022CCA911. As of this moment you cannot reserve on line. To check out the amenities, check out the website here: newporthotel.com.
1. What dates should I sign up for? The official CCA 100th celebration runs from Sunday night September 11th through Friday the 16th. We can make room reservations from Sunday September 11 up through Friday night September 16th (checking out on Saturday the 17th) at our special rate of $199 per room which is a bargain in Newport. Reservations before and after those dates are not part of our package and will have a different room rate. Room "assignments" will be made in early 2022 by the hotel.
2. What about the boat show? The Newport Intl. Boat show currently is scheduled for Sept. 15-18 so you may want to stick around for that.
3. What else is happening in Newport that week? The NYYC Resolute Cup will be going on all week. This is the qualifier for the biennial Invitational Cup next run in September 2023.
4. What about moorage? We have 35 slips reserved at the hotel. All 35 are being held for the CCA. The rate will be $5 per foot per night plus electricity. The hotel is not taking reservations for the slips. Sign ups for slips will be handled by the 100th Committee, with some slips reserved for each station and the rest on first come first serve basis. There will be a separate notification about signing up for slips sent out with the May Waypoints issue. Ultimately, slip assignments to conform to the marina specifications will be made by the Hotel Harbormaster in early 2022. The Committee will be working on providing for additional mooring/slip opportunities in Newport depending on the demand.
5. Can I sign up now for the 100th Celebration? Not yet. There will be a separate notification about signing up for the 100th that will be sent out at a later date. We are anticipating a very fun good sized crowd with lots to do in Newport to honor our 100th.
Chris and Shawn Otorowski, Chairs.